Our original van floor only came up to the bulkhead, which is long gone from our van. Therefore, we had to build a small floor extension out the front and over the side step to accommodate our couch.
For the side step, we already had some beams extruding thanks to our pre-planning when sticking down the main floor. For the perimeter border and legs, we cut lengths from the remainder of the wooden floor beams, but didn’t attach these yet.
We need MORE plywood?
Since we somehow had no pieces of 9mm ply big enough, we went out and bought one. It had to be 9mm as that is the thickness of our original floor. 💸
We then cut and shaped 2 pieces with a jigsaw: one to fit the front area, and one for our side step extension.
Since the floor had quite a few kinks in it, it took a few tries to get them to fit properly. We also stained the ply with the same woodstain as the main floor for extra protection.
More wood cutting
We glued the outer perimeter beams to the hardboard, and then cut more slices of wood for the legs of the step.
We chose to build a ‘bridge’ leg (a very strong design) and have a simple L-leg in the corner. These were screwed and glued together, and all the wood was painted with outdoor white wood paint for protection. 🖌️
Since the underneath of this step will most likely be shoe storage, we cut up the front door mat we had and fit it into place (don’t worry, there was another front door mat spare for the house).
It all comes together
Once the paint and glue dried, and despite the rain, we put everything together.
We put in our cut insulation into the wood frame, which fit easily since it had zero kinks in it.
Next, the legs were wedged into places and screwed into the frame of the floor step extension.
Then it was a matter of putting on the pre-cut and stained 9mm floor pieces, and screwing it down to the blue wooden support beams. We also screwed the front floor piece down as well.
We pre drilled and countersunk the screws in to give the floor a flushed surface. 🔩
One last bracket
We knew we needed one more bracket, on the corner without a leg, and after testing its strength the floor definitely dipped down in that spot.
We did have to remove and modify the lower sliding door stop (by cutting a notch out of it, in order to get the door to close), but all corners are fixed in and secure. 🗜️